bev.gif (7221 bytes) 

"CIVIL WAR Journal"
Documents 150th Anniversary

An ongoing series of entries will document the Sesquicentennial events of the Civil War in the Western Virginia. See these entries HERE.

A Short History of Beverly

Beverly was founded in 1790 as the first county seat of Randolph County, Virginia. From the beginning it was a market and government center for area settlers. With the completion of the Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike across Western Virginia in 1847, Beverly thrived.

Early in the Civil War, Beverly was a gathering place for Virginia Confederate troops. Following the Union victory at Rich Mountain in July of 1861, many Southern supporters fled south, leaving their homes vacant.

  For more information see:

The Federals occupied the town, set up telegraph and hospitals, built huts and fortifications, and boarded soldiers in citizens’ homes.

During the war, Rebels raided Beverly four times, twice successfully; but the town, and the territory of northwestern Virginia, remained in Union control. 


beverly courthouse drawing from civil war

The 1808 Courthouse, as drawn during the Civil War.

In 1863, Randolph County was included in the new loyal state of West Virginia.

After the war, refugees and soldiers returned home, houses and businesses were rebuilt, and the town slowly recovered. New businesses were founded in the revived community. Following the founding of the railroad town of Elkins in 1890, much of the commerce and population of the county focused more on the newer city, and in 1899 the county seat was moved to Elkins.
beverly courthouse circa 1880

The Beverly Courthouse in the later Nineteenth Century.

Now see: Beverly, A More Complete History