8. The Beverly Presbyterian Church
|In 1772, Rev. Charles Cummins began an eight-year pastorate in the Greenbrier and Tygart valleys. It was unlawful then for a man to come to church without his gun. From 1819 to 1826, Rev. Areta Loomis lived in Beverly, and on March 1, 1820, this congregation organized formally with a membership of ten. At first, services were held in the courthouse. Independent at the beginning, this congregation joined the Lexington Presbytery in 1825. In the 1840's members built a manse; and in 1852-53 they raised money by subscription to build a church. Rev. Enoch Thomas served as minister from 1844 until the Civil War, when, being of southern sympathies, he moved south. Dr. Squire Bosworth, clerk of the congregation, records the destruction of both church and manse and the depression of church members during the war.|
From 1867, Rev. Robert Scott, the new minister, worked very hard strengthening the church. Between 1869 and 1873, members rebuilt their church on the northeast corner of Collett and north Main streets. It was a simple structure with a belfry to house the bell, the only item salvaged from the first church. In 1894, the building was rededicated after a major renovation that added the two vestibules and "library room," stained glass windows (including the memorial window to Rev. Scott), the choir alcove, and a furnace. The completed building features Gothic Revival detailing and a pyramidal-roofed steeple.
The Sunday School Annex was built in 1949, and more renovation was done in 1950; at that time Mrs. Lee Stout directed the hand weaving of the carpet. A centennial service commemorating the first church was held on Easter Sunday, March 25, 1951.